Mulled wine is a warm winter classic that’s perfect for serving at holiday gatherings or for cozying up on chilly nights. Even better, this simple yet timeless drink is easy to prepare and makes your entire house smell like Christmas. Our take on the classic mulled wine recipe has just the right blend of spice, sweetness, and spirits to give anyone a taste of holiday cheer.
Served at 136°F (58°C)
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bottle dry red wine (like Syrah or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 large orange, sliced (plus more for garnish)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (plus more for garnish)
- 3 star anise (plus more for garnish)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2-6 Tbsp honey, to taste
- ¼ cup brandy (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot
- Bring to a low simmer for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours (do not let boil)
- Use a fine strainer to remove oranges and spices before serving
- Taste and add additional honey if desired
- Ladle into Ember Mug², add preferred garnishes, and keep hot at 136°F
Mulled Wine Recipe & Serving Variations
Slow cooker mulled wine
This mulled wine recipe can easily be prepared in a slow cooker. Combine ingredients in a slow cooker set to “low” and simmer for 2-3 hours. Even if you make your mulled wine on the stove top, transferring it to a slow cooker set to “warm” is a great way to keep it hot for guests.
Make ahead mulled wine
Did you know that you can make mulled wine ahead of time? The spices will act as a mild preservative, so you can make a couple of bottles and keep them on hand for the next time you’re in the mood. Prepare the recipe as normal (omitting brandy). Allow the mulled wine to cool and then use a funnel to pour back into the wine bottles. Recork and store for up to a week in the fridge. Reheat on the stove or in a slow cooker, then add in brandy.
White mulled wine
Most mulled wine recipes call for red wine, but there are no rules saying you can’t opt for a white instead! Choose a dry white wine that can stand up to the spices like Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
Garnished and Insta-worthy
For a truly lovely presentation, we recommend garnishing with 1-2 orange slices, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 star anise pod per mug. Make the deep crimson color of the wine really pop in a copper, silver, or gold mug from our new Metallic Collection.