How to Make a Mocha
Some combos are just meant to be – like the sweet, rich pairing of chocolate and coffee. It’s why café mochas are one of the original flavored espresso drinks and why they’ve remained a menu staple at coffee shops everywhere. However, while they may have been born in coffee shops, this sweet treat is easy to recreate at home. And while mochas at your favorite café are usually espresso-based, mochas work well with brewed coffee too, so you can still make it without an espresso machine.
Here’s how you can capture that beloved mocha magic from your own kitchen:
What You'll Need
- 4 oz very strongly brewed coffee or 2 oz espresso
- 4 oz of milk
- Chocolate mix-in of your choice. Any of the following will work, but we prefer the richness of melted dark chocolate:
- 1 Tbsp of hot cocoa mix
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 2 Tbsp melted chocolate + sweetener to taste
- Optional toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Hot cocoa mix to sprinkle
If you do have an espresso machine at home, we recommend following our classic latte recipe for your mocha base. Then, simply mix in your chocolate and add your favorite toppings.
- Brew 4 oz of strong coffee or pull 2 espresso shots (2 oz) directly into your Ember Mug².
- Add your preferred chocolate mix-in to the coffee and stir well.
- Warm milk on stove top or in microwave. Froth using a milk frother, handheld mixer, or French press.
- See our post on making lattes at home for tips on achieving the perfect milk froth without an espresso machine.
- Pour milk over espresso and chocolate in your Ember Mug².
- Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and a sprinkle of cocoa mix.
To balance the coolness of the whipped cream, we recommend setting your Ember Mug² two to three degrees higher than your usual preferred drinking temperature. Enjoy!
Want to take your coffee knowledge a bit deeper?What is a mocha?
Essentially, mocha coffees are a latte with added chocolate. Your barista adds cocoa powder mix, chocolate syrup, or melted chocolate to a traditional latte, tops it with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and voilà– you’ve got a warm, decadent coffee-and-dessert in one.