With Valentine's Day coming up, try making espresso truffles – a fun and easy homemade treat featuring the bold rich taste of fresh espresso. Forget the fuss – we'll guide you through this culinary journey utilizing a few simple ingredients. They say you can’t rush a work of art and these truffles are no different, take your time, trust the process and you will love the results. Making truffles is not only enjoyable but also a chance to connect and savor the moments together with your partner or Galentine. Once you’ve mastered this truffle recipe, we hope it will become a Valentine’s Day indulgence that is enjoyed with loved ones for many years to come!
- 1 pound dark baking chocolate
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 shots of espresso
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Curated Coffee Beans, Lattes & Whole Flower TeasSHOP EMBER BREWS
- Pull 2 espresso shots (approx 3 oz). We love making espresso with a machine, but for a convenient and fun alternative we recommend using a moka pot as well. While we prefer using fresh espresso, many espresso truffle recipes use espresso powder to add the flavor. Unless you have no other option use 1 ½ tbsp of espresso powder. Dark roasts work best for complementing the chocolate flavor profile of your truffles. Further down, we’ve shared three of our favorite coffees that cultivate that rich espresso flavor that brings these truffles to life. Put this aside for later.
- Over medium heat place a large saucepan on the stove and fill with 4 cups of water. Set an oven-safe bowl in the center of the saucepan so that water surrounds the bowl. Once the water is simmering, add the finely chopped chocolate, heavy cream, and butter. If you can’t find baking chocolate, you can use dark chocolate chips or even semi-sweet chocolate in a pinch. Stir continuously until the chocolate has completely melted and is smooth, taking care not to let the mixture burn.
- Stir in the espresso and salt until thoroughly blended with the chocolate mixture.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the saucepan with oven mitts and place on a heat safe surface. You will need to leave the bowl out for at least 1 hour allowing the truffle mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled to a point where it has thickened but is still malleable, using two spoons or a small cookie scoop, scoop into 1” balls. Shape each truffle by rolling it in your hands until a smooth ball is formed. It's okay if the truffle is a bit sticky as long as it can retain its shape.
- Now it’s time to dust your truffles! Pour the cocoa powder into a small bowl and roll each truffle once formed in the powder until covered. Place the powdered truffles in an airtight container and let cool in the fridge for an hour or so. This will cool the chocolate so your truffle is firm and you get that perfect melt in your mouth consistency. We loved these truffles served chilled!
Love them now, love them later! Store your truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Want to make “tipsy truffles”? Substitute espresso for 2 shots of your favorite whiskey or coffee liqueur.
Feeling nutty? Instead of cocoa powder, roll the truffle balls in crushed hazelnuts, peanuts, or almonds.
Is it getting hot in here? Another alternative to cocoa powder is cinnamon for a little extra zing.
Did you know that you can have your truffles and drink them too? Prepare your morning latte by adding 1 -2 truffles in your Ember Mug 2 before you add your coffee. Stir with a silicone spoon until fully mixed and then add your frothed milk for a fun and easy truffle mocha.
Looking for a great dark roast to make your truffles and truffle mocha? Here are some of our dark roast recommendations available on Ember Brews, our curated selection of coffee and tea.
- Onyx Coffee Labs - Monarch - Dark chocolate, molasses, red wine, dried berries, thick & syrupy
- Equator - French Roast Blend - Rich and smoky with flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dried plum, and walnuts
- Everyday People - Bali Blue Single Origin - Dark chocolate, molasses & brown sugar
We guarantee that these espresso truffles will have you and your loved ones head over heels in chocolatey coffee bliss.
One sip is all it takes to fall in love with this Super Latte.